• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Discussion: Story-writing and storytelling of Pokemon games

CrystaI

The Pokemon Observer
Reaction score
This is a question that I felt like always wanted to ask for these several years, but was unclear what should I ask. After I read Beth Pavell's blog today, I now had a clear picture of what I wanted to ask.

I wanted to know, what is everyone's opinions on the story plot of Pokemon games? Not only limited to Pokemon main series made by Game Freak, but also other spin-offs produced by other game studios. What do you think about the story plot quality? How do you feel about the overall scenario planning and storytelling within the game(s)? Is there any specific improvement you hope the game scenario director can do?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one is my opinion regarding on the main series game.

Seriously, Game Freak is just bad in storytelling. Everything within the game that is related to storytelling, which includes structure of the world, characterization of characters, plot flow and story construction, even the conversations between characters and NPCs, is just of the lowest quality within all the RPG games I had ever played.

I realized only within the recent year that Pokemon main series game was never ever meant to be a story-heavy RPG, but game-mechanics-centered RPG. For the latter it means you can basically skip all the story as it is not that important, even if you don't understand the plot at all it won't hinder your gameplay experience, and rather the exploration of the whole world will fascinate you more than following the story. Two examples I ever played is Final Fantasy XII and Sword Art Online Infinity Moment. Both of their main story may be explained within one paragraph, however as their main story is short, there are so many side quests, sub-stories, mysteries, mini-games and achievements that will keeps you busy all the time. The main story itself is more like merely an Excuse Plot to give player reasons to explore the world.

However, as I also wanted to point out, although game-mechanics-orientated RPG may have short story, that doesn't mean it will have badly written story. FFXII and SAO-IM's stories are simple, but consistent and finely constructed, the world physics itself is believable, the interactions between characters including NPCs talking are nicely written according to one's background, the plot itself doesn't have so many holes which will make me stop suspending my disbelief.

IMO Pokemon actually have the potential to be a full game-mechanics-orientated RPG, in the same context as the above-mentioned kind, put the story to the minimum yet it may still be enjoyable. However, it seems like Game Freak dislike the idea of Pokemon having simple story, so it inserts villainous team, and for each gen the degree of goal complication increases in order to produce some kind of complicated story. OK, if you want the game to be rather story-centered, go for it! As IMO story is just one of the key element that must be incorporated to make a game in the RPG genre more interesting and fascinating. Here I do not only mean the main story plot, but also includes the characters and the entire in-game world itself as well. These are the backbone of storytelling, hence it must be finely constructed.

However, Pokemon main series fall short on the backbones.
Ideas of the villains themselves are not bad. In fact, there is just no bad idea. The problem lies in the execution and lack of information, making the entire story + background being badly written.

GenI Team Rocket a mafia group hoping to use pokemon for profit? Fine, then could you show me they are indeed criminals, act like real criminals,
not just troubling people like some bullies on the street?
GenIII Team Aqua/Magma the eco-extremist hope for a better Hoenn by awakening and use the power of legendary pokemon? Fine, then could you show me why they wanted to do so? Is Hoenn's environment became severe in these several years, where in later stage it will become the second Orre, and in order to stop this Groudon/Kyogre's power is the only choice?
GenIV Team Galactic wanting to create another universe using the power of legendaries? Fine...... well this is rather quite a personal reason of Cyrus, then could you rather show me the details of why Cyrus wanted to do so? What made him hoping for another universe? What made him thinking in that way?
GenV Team Plasma hoping to free pokemon from human for Ghetis' world domination goal? Fine. In fact BW/B2W2 idea was so far the most innovative, but I think it would be better if they are not so hypocritical, and I wished to know more background of N and more specifically Ghetis.
GenVI Team Flare human massacre? Wow, fine. However IMO the in-game story became unnecessarily complicated for the insertion of many unnecessary things, such as the historical lore of war of 3000 years ago, and AZ in person. And then such unnecessary storytelling complication is alternatively a sign of bad story structure.

Being a RPG game, whether it is story-orientated or game-mechanics-orientated, still the overall execution of story of Pokemon main series is just bad, not only the plot flow and story structure itself, also especially the interactions and conversations between different characters, and the lack of background informations about many specific important things. I really wonder does the GF's scenario staffs had any knowledge of game scenario writing.

Although I do not hoping Pokemon main series to become those traditional RPGs like Final Fantasy or Tales of series, but still I think GF may need to study a little about the in-game scenario writing skills from Square Enix and Bandai Namco. If not from these, then at the very least look at Chunsoft, the one that made the spin-off PMD series.

Well, you know my feelings - it's pretty rubbish, and usually I don't care because the story is pretty rudimentary, and can therefore be pretty much ignored. Aside from the Delta Episode, I think my favourite bit of story silliness has to be the 3,000 year old war. Now there's a textbook example of fantasy writers having no sense of scale.

GenIV Team Galactic wanting to create another universe using the power of legendaries? Fine...... well this is rather quite a personal reason of Cyrus, then could you rather show me the details of why Cyrus wanted to do so? What made him hoping for another universe? What made him thinking in that way?

Before I forget @AceTrainer14's pretty good Dawn of Darkness tries to answer some of those questions. Worth a look, I enjoyed it. You can find it in the Fairground Archive

Last edited:
I think the story should be refined.
For example, in XY, they had very good ideas. Lysandre was an interesting villain, but the way he was presented turned everything dull. The history of the war was interesting but was just there. I understand why the plot not have gone dep in the genocide point. It was hinted, but after all is a kids game, but something in the tone didn't fit. AZ is an interesting character, but he could de deveolped more. I hope his story to be expanded in the next games. And the rivals, they don't have a role, are bland and can be irritating at times. After N, Cheren and Bianca, and characters like Silver, they were disapointing.

In fact pokemon has an established universe, ranging from the concept of parallel universes, stuff like infinity energy, etc ... So a more established continuity would make the games better. There could be more link between games, by returning old characters and other plot connections.

Other flaw is the bagde quest, that to those who played the games since RBG, it's a mechanical thing to do. Giving a background to the gym leaders, and get they involved in story against the villain team would be good. Much like what happened in BW, but flow it much more.

Moreover, there's other's copy and paste stuffs like the child born close to the teacher who receives a pokedex no one knows why, it got boring. It was cool that in XY they decided to change that by making the laboratory's base in another city, I think GF noticed it.

And yeah, I dont think the games stories in general are a great.
And I agree that the Delta episode was one of the best plots of the franchise, along with BW and Platinum, in that order. They should continue along these lines.

What I can conclude is that the game is okay to create concepts, but finds it difficult to put it all together, they need to improve it. And that sci-fi generally fits more Pokemon than a purely epic adventure.

Last edited:
Pokemon always had a good potential to create a story that are closely related to our modern society because there's so much ideas to utilize. Fighting crime (the mafia), raising awareness as environmentalists, delving deep into human nature and wondering about true evil, animal protection, and wondering how a world can be a beautiful place. The ideas aren't bad - it's the execution that fell short. If they can find a middle ground where the overall theme appeals to both kids and adults, and if the story is closely tied with the game mechanism, then it would be great.

Gen 6 introduced us the Mega Evolution concept while telling the story of the 3000 year old war. But the game mechanics and the overall story theme of bonds and friendship didn't really go well together. To me, they somewhat existed as separate things. I'm going to go straight ahead and tell my point, but the theme and concept of Mega Evolution fits the Team Plasma arc more than the Team Flare arc.

For example, let's say we had N's story in Gen 6 instead with Mega Evolution instead of Lysandre. The bonds between trainer and pokemon were actually more emphasized during N's tale - and if there's anyone who deserves to demonstrate Mega Evolution through the strong bonds, it's N. Not only that, but Colress was also looking for ways to draw out the true power of pokemon's inner strength. In the end, he concludes we are strong because we trust our pokemon and vice versa. In other words, it's the very bond that's needed for Mega Evolution. Colress would have been a good character for introducing the concept of Mega Evolution. If the Team Plasma arc was saved for Gen6 and Mega Evolution, I'd say we would have had a very good story execution. Hindsight, but the characters and theme of the Team Plasma arc needed a boost through game mechanics to truly make it count, and the benefit would have been through Mega Evolution. A lot of people say that the Team Plasma arc left a memorable story and the characters were unforgettable, but in exchange for that the game mechanics didn't live up to the story's fame. In rough words, the writing was good - the telling was bad.

The Team Flare arc suffered similarly, but in the opposite way. The telling was good, but the writing was bad. The new game mechanics and all were great, but the content was too weak to draw out the essence of what the story was trying to tell us. They could make us cry through AZ and Floette, but what lessons do they deliver? As game characters, what do they offer to the player character?

So as a result, story alone doesn't make the game. The game mechanics on their own don't make the game, either. Story has to go together with the game mechanics and how the player operates the game.

You know my friend and I had a discussion awhile back about story writing and implementation within various mediums such as series, movies and even video games and how us, as an audience are being delivered to them. My friend is a screenwriter and editor where I view myself as a novice writer for a side-hobby, though this is not here nor there at this point. However the general discussion we focused had been primarily the storylines and villains.

Do villains necessarily need background stories? Admittedly, understanding the motive and how they came to be or rather pursuing their ideology (ex; Cyrus, Lysandre, etc...). Knowing and understanding how they came to be that way and why the protagonist (us) should stop them from achieving their goals. But do we necessarily have to? These days, it seems that everyone wants to throw the villainous pasts into our faces and make us sympathize with them.

Frankly, why should we sympathize with them? They are trying to conquer or destroy the world. Their past does not excuse the actions that their commit during the present.

I'd much rather learn about the minor characters such as the Protagonist, Professor, The two other trainers (rivals/friends), and the Gym Leaders/Elites/Champion and the admins or even the grunts; Why brought them to joining the team and how did they become so devoted? That thing.

Gamefreak should learn to "show but don't tell." for the writing of their games.

That's just my thoughts.

The story plot of Kanto and Johto were a bit boring. Team Rocket did not get involve with a legendary during main story and post game. ORAS had the same old plot from R/S but with alterations. Delta Episode was boring and lazy with only Deoxys as a highlight from it. I like the story lines of Hoenn (Emerald version), Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos. Those stories were well done and the post games were great. I am worry that the games are going to lose more greatness after the rushed and lazy making of ORAS games. I just hope Z story line and post game end up as good or better than XY games.

There's a reason I say that I don't play the games for the plot. Generally the ideas are bad and most characters are morons.

I never understood how people go so crazy over certain characters (like N) because I can't find them interesting no matter how much I try. But to each their own.

It always ends up trying to be some enlightening philosophical crap about love and friendship and at the same time the villains are just getting more over the top with the recycled theatrical garbage. I suppose people will say N and the like are well done for Pokemon but that's hardly reassuring of Game Freak's talents.

Haven't played enough spin-offs to form an opinion; Colosseum, XD and Conquest are really the only ones I've touched and I don't remember much about them to comment. (Played a bit of Shuffle months back +but there is no plot there so.)

Next gen I hope they drop the evil team + gym badge limitations from the story and try something different. But I don't expect them to challenge themselves when it's so easy for them to keep recycling the current formula and make money.

I've always thought the Pokemon games have enormous potential. They have a well established world and a formula (such as the different regions), both of which open up doors to so many possibilities. Unfortunately, Game Freak always decides to limit themselves. Why? Well, the games still sell very well, so I guess there is little incentive to challenge themselves when they can recycle ideas and still see their games fly off the shelves. Maybe they are also afraid that changing the formula of the main game series will affect sales negatively. Compare the sales of the main game series to the spin-offs. As far as I know, the main series sell much, much better. Correct me if I'm wrong. Then again, I have played very few of their spin-off games (2 Dungeons, 1 Ranger and a 3rd Dungeon that I gave away as a gift because I couldn't get into it at all. It was just.. kind of bad.) so I can't judge their quality.

This is not limited to the games only. The Pokemon world is not strictly defined, with worldly rules. It leaves so much room for creativity, which fans bring out time and again. Pokemon species variations are a good example of the many things Game Freak could have done to Pokemon. Honestly, many times I end up loving certain characters simply because fans give them an interesting characterization through fanfics, fanarts, headcanons and more. At the very least, Pokemon Special does a decent job at handling its plot and characters. Sure, it has plenty of flaws and things it could have done better, but I think the majority can't deny it's quite decent with what it has to work with.

With that said, I've never played the Pokemon games for their plot. I'm here for the journey to explore a new world (region) and catch new friends (Pokemon), which never gets old. Something about it is just so exciting to me. The story is simply a nice addition, and after playing the games for so many years (since GSC), I've pretty much given up on Game Freak ever writing anything genuinely intriguing, well written story with interesting characters. I see the potential in them. I definitely see it. I appreciate their ideas, and ultimately form my own version of what the story could have been, starring my trainer character (which I've named Alice since Sapphire). Admittedly, forming my own story based on the games' key events has turned out as one of my pleasures of playing the games.

Maybe Game Freak feels the same way. They want each trainer to form their own adventure, but why not give them choices and different paths to follow if that is what they want? What if someone prefers Contests, instead of Badges. ORAS even gives you a side story when you follow the Contests, but in the end, you still have to beat the Pokemon League to further progress through the game. The target demographic is children, but limiting oneself to make a simple story children can understand is quite sad. Children can perceive more things than adults give them credit for, and there are many adults that still play the games. The stories don't need to be overly complex, just make them good. I think giving more attention to the characters would vastly improve the stories. After all, it's usually the characters that carry the stories out. Most characters are given minimal characterization and little to no involvement in the story. ORAS did make an effort to give more characterization to the rival, to Wally, to the protagonist's father etc. I definitely appreciate that, it was a good improvement, but more could be done. Needless to say the Gym Leaders were simply... there.

I think the games will remain like this forever, because they sell either way. I've decided to simply appreciate the concepts and ideas, and enjoy what I can, because I don't see Game Freak ever changing their ways. On the other hand, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky did have a pretty nice story. I honestly enjoyed it. It helps I love time traveling.

Last edited:
One thing about the Pokemon main series game that always keeps grinding my gears since GenI is namely -- the characterization of characters, where such thing is portrayed heavily in the response and dialogues. This is not only the significant characters with own avatars, but including the background NPCs where they just say a word or sentence when you talk to them.

What I noticed about the in-game characters in the Pokemon main series game are -- they don't felt like people. When you talk to them, their response is rather mechanical, they seems to be exciting for every single thing they are talking about. (Is it probably due to the overuse of exclamation mark at the end of every conversation?) And then when there is some event happening, it always executed in rather a forceful way instead of introducing the event naturally, making the entire event illogical, punching holes in the plot line. Especially regarding on the dialogues of characters during the events, it always felt something unnatural about their words, it doesn't feel like that is the kind of conversation a normal people shall come out of their mouth when such thing really happening.

For example, in Emerald/AS, the first event of encountering Team Aqua grunt in Petalburg Woods, he was there attacking the Devon employee, trying to steal some important documents from him. But the problem is, how was that event introduced?
Devon employee: "Hmmm... Not a one to be found..."
Devon employee: "Hello, have you seen any Pokemon called Shroomish around here? I really love that Pokemon."
Team Aqua grunt: "I was going to ambush you, but you had to dawdle in Petalburg Woods forever, didn't you? I got sick of waiting, so here I am!"
Team Aqua grunt: "You! Devon Researcher! Hand over those papers!"
Devon employee: "Aiyeeeh!"
Devon employee: "You're a Pokemon Trainer, aren't you! You've got to help me, please!"
Team Aqua grunt: "Hunh? What do you think you're doing? What, you're going to protect him? No one who crosses Team Aqua gets any mercy, not even a kid! Come on and battle me!"
** Battle started **
Defeat Team Aqua grunt.
Team Aqua grunt: "You're kidding me! You're tough!"
** Battle ended **
Team Aqua grunt: "Grrr... You've got some nerve meddling with Team Aqua! Come on and battle me again! I wish I could say that, but I'm out of Pokemon... And, hey, we of Team Aqua are also after something in Rustboro. I'll let you go today!"
Devon employee: "Whew... That was awfully close! Thanks to you, he didn't rob me of these important papers. I know, I'll give you a Great Ball as my thanks!"
** Players obtained the Great Ball! **
Devon employee: "Didn't that Team Aqua thug say they were after something in Rustboro, too? Uh-oh! It's a crisis! I can't be wasting time!"
Devon employee rushed to Rustboro.
End of event.

For the conversations and dialogues in here, everything just seems wrong and idiotic. Why the Devon employee was there looking for Shroomish in the first place? If Team Aqua was aimed to ambush him in the first place, then why wait until Player had arrived? All of them are just so unnatural and illogical, and this is merely a tip of the iceberg.

If it is me, I'll completely rewrite this event in the following manner:
When Player go to a specific point in the middle of Petalburg Woods, Devon employee appear and approach to you, where at the same time Team Aqua grunt appear.
Devon employee: "Help! Please help me!"
Team Aqua grunt: "You are nowhere to escape! Hand over those documents to me right now, then I'll leave you to my mercy. Or else prepare for the worst!"
Devon employee: "Please! Help me, Pokemon Trainer! I beg for your assistance!"
Team Aqua grunt: "Huh! How pitiful this is seeing the researcher of prestigious Devon coming down to ask for help from a kid! But that is none of my concern! Kid! If you dare to protect that guy, then don't hope for any mercy from me!"
** Battle started **
Defeat Team Aqua grunt.
Team Aqua grunt: "What...? How come...? You're unbelievably tough!"
** Battle ended **
Team Aqua grunt: "This... is just impossible. I can't believe all my Pokemon were defeated. This must be a joke!"
Player take a step to the front, and Team Aqua take a step backward.
Team Aqua grunt: "......You don't seem like any normal trainer loafing around from the nearby city. Devon Researcher, guess you are just being lucky today. Kid! You better remember this! Team Aqua is not someone you will dare to meddle with! You may be lucky this time, but next time you'll be the one to regret!"
Team Aqua grunt leaving.
Devon employee: "Whew. That was really a close call. Thank you very much Pokemon Trainer! I was on my way to deliver these documents to Devon Corporation in Rustboro, where I was ambushed by that thug when passing through Petalburg Woods. This may not be much, but please take this in appreciation of saving my life."
** Players obtained the Great Ball! **
Devon employee: "By the way, that thug said he is Team Aqua, didn't he? So this must means he is not alone. I better be hurry before this happens again. Pokemon Trainer, thank you once again for saving me. I really hope to see you again. Please come to visit Devon Corporation if you have time."
Devon employee rushed to Rustboro.
End of event.

The exact same event is happening, but IMO this will then eliminate all the characterization irrationality and plot holes, also it sounds a lot more intelligent and less moronic.

BTW, after this trial of rewriting the in-game event and dialogues, it oppositely made me unable to understand the game scenario staff of Game Freak: How can they planned such moronic in-game conversations, where that will definitely deemed as below passing grade if it ever given to Writers Guild of Japan?

There's one thing that I don't think anybody can even attempt to deny... and it's that the storytelling in these games have gotten better than when Pokemon first started out with R/G/B.

I like what they've done with Gens 4 and up, but I agree that sometimes it doesn't make sense... but in all honesty, it doesn't bother me to the boiling point of ranting and raving about it. Let's face it though, these games are not centered around storytelling like what most other RPG's are. Pokemon is a different ballgame, and it's the formula that they've been using for the past 20 years that has worked out for this particular series. If I want better quality in storytelling, I turn to another interest instead of trying to rely on Pokemon all the time to give me that.

The franchise is aimed towards children... Okay, I know that you're already getting ready to write "Its structure target demographic doesn't excuse any of that awful writing." And you'd be right. But I certainly think it's a factor here, and to be quite honest, it is true that some children gloss right over the idiocy. I certainly know that I did back then.

Also note that the examples of "good" scenario writing- Square Enix and Bandai Namco- mostly created games aimed towards teens or older. Is it possible for a children's game to have great writing? Absolutely. Chunsoft's PMD series, noted for its darker themes and great stories, is proof of that. But is it kind of likely that target demographic and effort put into scenario might be correlated? I think so.

And, as the OP noted, this is a mostly mechanics-driven game franchise. The fact that it got so incredibly popular back in the Gen 1 days- where the story was practically nonexistent- probably speaks for how important the story actually is to this franchise. Plot, story, writing that wouldn't get sinned over nine-thousand times at CinemaSins... they're second priorities. Still doesn't excuse how dumb it can be a times, of course.

Oh, I had no clue PMD wasn't developed by Game Freak. Well, that explains why the writing is different.

When you are a kid many things look and feel much, much cooler than they really are. As usual, though, I say don't underestimate kids! Thing is, kids grow in different times than we did. What was amazing to us back then could just be the "standard" for kids now.

Last edited:
Well, to speak the truth, indeed, I also never played Pokemon main series for the plot. Well not only the for main series, but including spin-offs that concentrated on the traditional Pokemon battles, hence Pokemon Colosseum/XD. I also didn't played Wii Pokepark for its plot, but I enjoyed its gameplay as I was there freely controlling Pikachu. It was rather fun in playing the Wii Pokepark BW's postgame battle tournament. The only Pokemon games I played for the plot and fascinated by its story more than the gameplay, is the PMD series.

Now that when I recalled, when I was still a children below 10, the first RPG game which I can still remembered, the Sailormoon Another Story on NES, in fact I didn't care a damn about its story back at then. It was only when I grew older to the teenage era and replayed it, then I started to read and care about its story plot. Back at the younger time? I simple pressed A mindlessly to skip all the conversations, never talk to the NPCs on the streets.
Yeah, I didn't care about its story back at then. But after I grew older and replayed it, I didn't find its story difficult to understand, nor I ever felt its story plot was illogical having plot holes, characters spoke in-character in the natural tones.

Story plot inside a RPG game, I have to say it is unfortunately not something that will be enjoyed by preteens. That's why most children prefers game-mechanics-orientated games, or simply the non-RPG genres. Well-written story plot is more like a bonus icing on the cake provided some specific children cared about it. But for one thing I kind of admitted, is that when players grew older, those bonus will become the thing that we cared more about. Now that I am an adult and when I play a game, not only limited to RPG, but also ACT and many other platform games, if it does have a story, I tended to read through them for further enjoyment.

Therefore, for the game specifically within the RPG genre, the ones that can maintain a balance between both the game mechanics and story, are the ones that are welcomed by both children and adults. Graphics/sound/replayability/many other may also account to it, but it will not be the crucial factor to maintain the attentions of players.

I agree with a lot of the stuff already posted, the main series games could have a really good plot, however they just aren't fleshed out enough I thought kalos in paticular had a lot of potential, however by the end I was dissapointed and felt like it could have been so much more, the first 3 gens the plots were bare, sinnoh again could have been so much more and imo probably has the potential to have the best plot of them all, but it didn't do quite enough, however platinum is probably my favourite. The first two in the PMD series i felt had good plots deffo sky, there were actaully side missions which allowed you to explore the characters pasts and plot wise i'd day Sky is probably the best game plot wise, but yeah the main games need more and some sort of mix up in the badge quest would be nice

I agree that there are a lot of plot elements and background information that can be expanded on but truth be told, I really think it's more a bonus than anything else. Not to mention, the dialogue in the main games can be downright bad.

Ehh, while GF could certainly use some more variation in their writing I think the same could be said about Bamco and Square.
As a fan of both I can that SE'S games are overdramatic and confusing ( KH and FF13 are prime examples) while Namdai has their own little formulas that they like to follow ( Like how in every Tales game there's a traitor and the bad guy is always a well intentioned extremist)

Well, to speak the truth, indeed, I also never played Pokemon main series for the plot. Well not only the for main series, but including spin-offs that concentrated on the traditional Pokemon battles, hence Pokemon Colosseum/XD. I also didn't played Wii Pokepark for its plot, but I enjoyed its gameplay as I was there freely controlling Pikachu. It was rather fun in playing the Wii Pokepark BW's postgame battle tournament. The only Pokemon games I played for the plot and fascinated by its story more than the gameplay, is the PMD series.

Now that when I recalled, when I was still a children below 10, the first RPG game which I can still remembered, the Sailormoon Another Story on NES, in fact I didn't care a damn about its story back at then. It was only when I grew older to the teenage era and replayed it, then I started to read and care about its story plot. Back at the younger time? I simple pressed A mindlessly to skip all the conversations, never talk to the NPCs on the streets.
Yeah, I didn't care about its story back at then. But after I grew older and replayed it, I didn't find its story difficult to understand, nor I ever felt its story plot was illogical having plot holes, characters spoke in-character in the natural tones.

Story plot inside a RPG game, I have to say it is unfortunately not something that will be enjoyed by preteens. That's why most children prefers game-mechanics-orientated games, or simply the non-RPG genres. Well-written story plot is more like a bonus icing on the cake provided some specific children cared about it. But for one thing I kind of admitted, is that when players grew older, those bonus will become the thing that we cared more about. Now that I am an adult and when I play a game, not only limited to RPG, but also ACT and many other platform games, if it does have a story, I tended to read through them for further enjoyment.

Therefore, for the game specifically within the RPG genre, the ones that can maintain a balance between both the game mechanics and story, are the ones that are welcomed by both children and adults. Graphics/sound/replayability/many other may also account to it, but it will not be the crucial factor to maintain the attentions of players.

You can't speak for all children when you say that. Perhaps you didn't care about the story in games as a child; I ADORED it. I'd talk to all the NPC's. I'd go into every house. I'd pull every little bit of lore out of the world that I could get my sticky fingers on. I was one of the kids who grew up on the original generation, but one of the things that made Gold/Silver so much better for me than Red/Blue was the story had much more to it. You actually met and worked with the Champion, you stopped Team Rocket from carrying out their plan. It seemed way more urgent than R/B, with the radio blaring out the TR speech. It was great! But but even then I wanted more.

B/W was great for story. Platinum was also great. Kalos has enormous potential and a wonderful emotive depth, but has so far fallen short. I hope the third version will deliver.

When I played R/B/G/S I'd make up my own stories within the game to fill that void, but I dearly wished the games had more to offer me. Yes, there are some children who don't care about stories. But there are many who do and they should be given those stories.

Kids understand way more than we think. They absorb way more than we think. If we spoon-feed them shallow excuse plots, they'll grow up assuming that's all a game can or should deliver. If we instead choose to deliver to them well articulated, meaningful stories, stories which encourage them to think and question and to empathise, we will nurture far more creative and mature individuals.

TL;DR - What a few people before me have said. Don't underestimate children. They will amaze you with what they know and understand.

This is a kids game, though, so we cant have far to horrible/mature stories in Pokemon. However, we can get deeper characters than the ones we now get, and they can appear more often. A game more impacted by player choice could perhaps improve the story as well, with a possibility to select certain answers to questions, and such.

A game more impacted by player choice could perhaps improve the story as well, with a possibility to select certain answers to questions, and such.
short version: player choice is an illusion that typically masks terrible story-writing. freedom in the overworld would be a much better choice, though probably not applicable to Pokemon all that much.

I think that it is necessary to have some sort of background about the villains. It doesn't have to be the focus of the story, but I think it should be there. That's part of what is the difference betwen a good film on the cinemas and a made-for-TV B action. The main reason is, however, not to make people sympathise with the villains, but I don't thinki that giving them a back story automatically will make people sympathise with them. There are two main reasons for giving a back story to the villains. One has already been mentioned by others, and is related to the believability of the characters. People aren't inherently evil. They aren't monsters, and they usually have some sort of ideas about morals. A villain who is described as simply "wanting to take over the world" is therefore not that easy to believe in, and that makes the story less engaging. The other aspect has to do with complexity: in order to draw someone in, to attract the readers/viewers and to make them keep the attention, you need to make them engaged in the story. The more ways they are active the better. This may be through affective attachment to one or several characters, and it may be through cognitively engaging with the story. Making the characters a bit more complex increases the amount of mental energy that people will spend on the story, and that tends to 'hook' them.
Having said that, I agree with most of you that the game stories often leave a lot to be desired, mostly with their execution but also the stories themselves. They probably don't see the need to spend more time with improving the stories as the games sell, but even small improvements could do a lot, as I think the re-worked dialogue at Devon that somebody posted shows.

Back
Top Bottom