• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP170: Kikuno of The Big Four! Kabaldon VS Dodaitose!! ・ DP171: Togekiss Dance! The Princess's Pokémon Contest!!

Re: "Kikuno of Elite4 Kabarudon vs Dodaitose" & "Togekiss Dance Princes PKMN Contest"

What is more devastating, lost against Elite Four or lose to some random trainer in the League, one more time? At least making him a League winner this time...
Bertha: Well, seven badges, only this strength... You're Ash, right? Your ability is still weak, but the most important thing is to understand what to do during battles.
Ash: Thanks a lot! Can I win the Sinnoh League?
Bertha: About that... I'm not saying that you can't... anyway, in the battles, observation is very important.

^--The above pretty much answers your question.
Thanks T_Kiss for your awesome guide^^

Re: "Kikuno of Elite4 Kabarudon vs Dodaitose" & "Togekiss Dance Princes PKMN Contest"

If I may be so bold as to state the obvious, I'd wager his so-called 'weakness' is their extremely subtle way of saying "you're stuck watching this kid...FOOOOREEEEEVEEEEEEEEERRRRR."

That's all fine and dandy, though I do think the omnipotency of the Elite 4 is a bit much, especially after a decade of this stuff. But then I ask myself; Grave-E old sport. Do you really care?

Also, I find it funny when they go out of their way to mention a pokemon's unique abilities in their pokedex entry, then in the ensuing battle we...don't see anything of the sort. But hey, any hippo redemption is good redemption in my book!

I'm hoping that Hikari takes note of this for the GF, like Haruka took notice of Heath's combination for her own GF.

They wouldn't make Kikuno give a speech if she won't.

Common sense. Which is soemthing this animé lacks.

Yes I agree that Ash will not win the Sinnoh League. Bertha is pretty harsh to Ash, but Ash certainly learns a lesson.

EDIT: Togekiss episode done. Please feel free to ask me should you have any questions. "Go-kigen-yo"!

Episode Guide
-------------

- In this episode, the princess and her servants speak in formal style, and Ash and friends speak informally, unless otherwise stated; but when I state it, I am stressing the language style being used.

- I use "Princess our Majesty" when the servants refer to their master. Since in the Japanese language they do not always use pronouns, when I add the pronouns I use brackets, like (she) and (her); it is because whenever the servants refer to the princess they must say "Princess our Majesty" instead of pronouns.

Ash Dawn Brock Salvia
Lady Man Team Rocket

Our friends have arrived at Kazaguri Town.
Ash: Today there is a Pokemon Contest! Brock: But Dawn isn't competing right?
Dawn: I've already got the 5th ribbon, and we're heading for the Grand Festival! (Pocha-pocha)
Suddenly a girl appears.
Lady: <formal> Excuse me, is it Miss Dawn? I have been waiting for you. Dawn: Huh?
Brock: <formal> Nice to meet you, my name is Brock. To be able to meet such a beautiful lady... [JAB!]
Dawn: <informal> You said you've been waiting for me, why?
Lady: I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Hurija. Our Princess our Majesty has been waiting for Miss Dawn, and she sends me to greet you.
Dawn: What? Princess?

They enter the princess's palace.
Salvia: <formal> It is like a dream, that I am able to meet the real Miss Dawn, and the Piplup that has been very active in the Wallace Cup.
Lady: <formal> Let me introduce once more. This is our Princess our Majesty Miss Salvia.
Salvia: Miss Dawn, Mr Ash, Mr Brock, (bows politely) would you please do me a favor? Ash: Why us? (Pika?)
Salvia: Of course, I am a fan of Miss Dawn, and have been watching your contests and tag battles.
Lady: In fact today our Princess our Majesty has to be the Friendly Ambassador of this town, but (she) said (she) wants to participate in today's contest. Dawn: Contest?
Lady: But (she) is very busy today, and (she) has no time. Therefore, we would like to ask Miss Dawn to be (her) substitute.
Dawn: Me as a substitute of the princess? Salvia: Would you please do this for me?

And Dawn changes clothes to become a princess!
Dawn: <informal> Beautiful! I can have a taste of being a princess! Ash: You really look like (a princess!) (Pi-ka!)
Dawn turns a round and stands next to Salvia.
Dawn: Do we look alike? Brock: (holding Piplup) You two are like twins!
Dawn: We're twins! Lady: Then Princess our Majesty, please change your clothes.

And Salvia changes clothes to become Dawn.
Dawn: Excellent! Just like looking into a mirror! Brock: Participating in the contest like this should be fine.
Salvia: <formal> This is great! However, this dress is a bit short... I am a little bit embarrassed.
Lady: It fits (you) though. Salvia: Yes, Miss Furija is right! (Holds a Pokeball) Come on out, Togekiss! Dawn: Togekiss?
Dawn checks her Pokedex: Togekiss, the Jubilee Pokemon, the evolution of Togetic. It will never appear when there is strife.
Salvia: I have been training hard with Togekiss just for today, right Togekiss? (To-su!) (someone knocks on the door) Return, Togekiss!
A male servant comes in.
Man: <formal> Excuse me. Lady: (leading Ash, Brock, and "Dawn" out) Visitors please come here.
Man: It is strange... you have a meeting (with the visitors) at this moment?
Dawn: (holding her head very casually) <informal> No need to worry, it's fine.
Man: Princess our Majesty, please do not speak in this way. Dawn: <formal> I am very sorry...
Man: The meetings will start very soon. Are (your) preparations ready? The coming meeting is very important to Kazaguri Town. Would you please speak just as I have been teaching (you)? Dawn: Maybe yes...

The contest starts.
Salvia: <formal> The contest is about to start. I am a little bit nervous.
Ash: No need to worry. We are here to support you. Brock: (holding Piplup) Let's go!
Team Rocket peeps from behind and the background music changes.
James: The girl twerp! Is she joining the contest? Meowth: She already got her 5th ribbon, so she shouldn't be joining.
Jessie: It's time for me, Candy Musalina, to show up, to get the 5th ribbon! (Wobbuffet~)

The Pokemon Contest starts! After introduction of the MC and the three judges, we see "Dawn" in the changing room watching.
Jessie: Why? Why? Why is she here? If she is here, then she must be taking the contest... is she blocking me from getting the ribbon?...
Salvia: <formal> Is it Miss Candy Musalina? "Hajime-mashite!" <First-time meet greeting>Nice to meet you (bows politely).
Jessie: Huh? "Hajime-mashite"? Salvia: Eh... well, I mean, we have met many times and are friends right? <T_Kiss: very hard to translate>
Jessie: Who are friends? I tell you, I will get the 5th ribbon!
Salvia: I have been waiting for participating in a Pokemon Contest for so long! (Jessie is confused) Let's try out best! "Go-kigen-yo" <Leaving greeting>
Jessie: What "go-kigen-yo"? What kind of twerp? Look, I'm going to win this contest, you twerp! <T_Kiss: so hard to translate!>

Meanwhile we see Dawn in the important meeting, being very nervous.
Visitor: <formal> Being able to meet (you) is my honor. (Then reports about their whatever group/town)
Dawn: <formal> Fine. "Go-kigen-yo". Visitor: "Go-kigen-yo".
The visitor leaves.
Dawn: <informal> Sigh... Are we not finished yet? Lady: <formal> A little bit more of work. We only have 80 more groups (of visitors to meet).
Dawn: (screams) 80 more groups!?... (stops because the Man is reminding her)
Dawn: <formal> Yes... nothing. Man: Next please.

Now it's the Appeal Round. We see a Magnemite, a Camerupt, a Dewgong.
Jessie: Yanmega, Ancientpower! Then Steel Wing!
And Yanmega uses her wings to cut the rock into pieces.
Jessie: Next is Silver Wind!
The wind smashes the rocks producing sparkles, and finish.
And now it's "Dawn"! James: What? It's the girl twerp! Meowth: Why is she entering?
Ash: Try your best princess... no, Dawn!
Salvia: Togekiss, entrance!
And Togekiss shows up with a "Crown" seal.
Salvia: <formal> First is Aura Sphere!
The Sphere is sent to the air.
Salvia: Next is Sky Attack!
Togekiss charges at the sphere and breaks it into balls.
Salvia: Now is Air Slash!
Togekiss spins itself and combines with the balls to produce a rainbow-like ring like an aurora. It is a great appeal.
Jessie is very angry and swears to win the ribbon.

... Meanwhile Dawn is tired out of the 80+ meetings with the groups.
Dawn: (sweats and lays back) Finally it's the end... (the Man's cough makes her sit straight again)
Man: Next please attend the lunch "kondan-kai" <round-table conference>. Dawn: (sweats) "Kondan-kai"?
The meeting room door opens. Many apparently rich and well-dressed people are waiting for her.
Dawn: (frightened) "Konran-kai!!!!" <confusing conference>

In the Contest hall,
Salvia: <formal> I was very nervous! My heart is beating very fast now. Are you (nervous) too, Togekiss? (To~)
Brock: No need to worry. There was no mistake! Ash: Yes, isn't winning the contest your dream?
Salvia: Really? It is so great to be able to attend the contest! (Looking around) The contestants and the Pokemon are all so active. It is the first time in my life to be so happy! <T_Kiss: so sweet>
Brock: I understand. The life in the palace is very quiet, isn't it? Ash: Palace... can Dawn do it? (pika-pika...)
In the conference... Dawn is cutting her food like a countrygirl. The Man coughs again to remind her about her table manners. She gets nervous and a tomato flies to a visitor's mouth! Dawn is very nervous and spills the orange juice and water. She gets too nervous and falls down...
Man: What are you doing? Lady: Don't give up, Miss Dawn. Dawn: Yes.

In the contest hall, Salvia and Jessie advance to the next round.
Jessie: I won't lose. The one who will laugh to the end is... Candy Musalina!
In the second round, Mantyke VS Electabuzz, Abomasnow VS Pinsir, Togekiss VS Probopass, Yanmega VS Starmie.

Dawn is extremely exhausted.
Dawn: I've never dreamed to be so difficult when having lunch.
Lady: We are very sorry, (you) must be very tired. In fact... today... (you) still have an event... Dawn: What is it this time!?

In the contest hall the climax arrives: We have a special guest, the Princess our Majesty of Kazaguri Town! A tired Dawn is waving to the audience.
Dawn: Today's final job is the contest special guest... Man: What did (you) say? Dawn: Eh... nothing.
Final stage: Candy Musalina VS Dawn! Start!
Jessie: Seviper, rocket start! Salvia: Togekiss, entrance!
Dawn: Try your best, princess... no, me... no... (stopped by the Man's cough)
Salvia: Let you see... Togekiss, Air Slash! Jessie: Haze!
Haze stops the Air Slash and covers Togekiss's sight.
Poison Tail hits and Salvia's points drop.
Jessie: Seviper, Wrap!
The snake wraps Togekiss and throws it around, another point drop!
Salvia: Stand up Togekiss! (But Togekiss is weak) Can it continue? But it's such a big chance...

Dawn: (Very loud) Don't give up! You've been training hard aren't you? You need to try as hard as you can with Togekiss! Try hard to the end! Don't give up until the end!
Man: Princess our Majesty, please stop!
Marion says that the princess is supporting "Dawn". Jessie is shocked too, that the princess supports "Dawn" instead of her.
Jessie: Wait, why do you support the other side? Not fair!
Salvia: Miss Dawn... Yes, Togekiss, we're not lost yet!
Jessie: Bite attack! Salvia: Safeguard!
The Safeguard blocks Seviper and Jessie's points drop.
Brock: The damage is high, it's chance!

Salvia: Air Slash! (And hits)
Jessie: I'll let you see... Poison Tail! Salvia: Don't lose, use Aura Sphere!
Seviper dodges the sphere and prepares to attack, but Togekiss narrowly dodges.
Salvia: Aura Sphere once more!
It hits, and Seviper is knocked out. "Dawn" and Togekiss wins! Salvia is more than happy.
Dawn: Princess you're the best! Man: Huh? Dawn: Eh... It's Miss Dawn...
And Salvia receives the ribbon with Togekiss. Marion ends the contest with a "go-kigen-yo".

In the dressing room.
James: Jessie please cheer up! You did your best. Meowth: Try harder next time and you'll be fine.
But Jessie is down. Somebody approaches...
"Dawn" approaches, and everyone except Jessie hides.
Jessie: What?
Salvia hands over her ribbon.
Salvia: <formal> To thank you for competing with me in the final stage, here it is, please take it.
Jessie: It's the Ribbon! But... what does it mean by "please take it"?
Salvia: I will never forget about today evening. Being able to meet with Miss Candy Musalina is my pleasure. Thank you very much! (bows politely and leaves) <T_Kiss: so sweet>

Jessie: Wait... James: "I will never forget about today evening.. it is my pleasure..." Meowth: Today's girl twerp is very strange.
Jessie: Why is she talking in such a strange way... I don't want your ribbon, take it back!... (stopped by James)
James: Wait, Grand Festival... Meowth: (nervous) We all understand your feelings, but it's not so easy to get a ribbon...
Jessie: (suddenly changes tone) That girl is so great! (this shocks James and Meowth) I've got the 5th ribbon! Ii Kanji!
James, Meowth: (sweat) Ii... Kanji...

Dawn and Salvia return to normal.
Dawn: This is what I should look like. Lady: Thank you Miss Dawn.
Salvia: Thanks to Miss Dawn, I have an unforgettable night. And I have one more favor to ask for. Would you please take my Togekiss with you? Togekiss wants to compete in the Grand Festival with Miss Dawn, and I want the same as well.
Ash: Togekiss will love to be with us right? (To~kissu!)
Dawn: OK, understood. Salvia: Please take good care of Togekiss.
Dawn: Let's travel together, Togekiss! (And returns it to the Pokeball)

The Man comes in.
Man: Excuse me... oh?
Ash and friends say farewell to the princess and leave.
Man: What happened to (you) today? Behave yourself (tomorrow), Princess our Majesty. Salvia: Yes.

And Dawn leaves with her new friend Togekiss.

Last edited:

Bertha: Well, seven badges, only this strength... You're Ash, right? Your ability is still weak, but the most important thing is to understand what to do during battles.
Ash: Thanks a lot! Can I win the Sinnoh League?
Bertha: About that... I'm not saying that you can't... anyway, in the battles, observation is very important.

Translation: You won't win the league, Ash. You suck.

Like Unown said... so much for the elite four foreshadowing.

So much for the Elite Four foreshadowing... The writers are making the League seem like a big hurdle as it is.

Lies. Ash will win the Sinnoh league.

Lies. Ash will win the Sinnoh league.

He'll beat Paul, and maybe win the League MAYBE.

But now I'm just expecting him to challenge Cynthia to a quick battle and he gets thrashed.

No, the writers wouldn't do something like that.

They did not make us wait 4 years, (technically 5 years, as the Hoenn league was back in 2005 and BF filled a year), for Ash to get into another league just to see him lose again.

They gave Ash an almost fully evolved team this time, constantly foreshadowed the E4, pretty much foreshadowed Ash's victory over Paul easily, haven't introduced any new -son rival, and Cynthia is waiting for a challenge.

If the writers blow all this off, then I give up on Ash ever winning a league. There's no reason why Ash's team in the 5th gen would be better than his team now, I can't see where it can go from here.

I believe Ash will beat Paul, maybe under some kind of circumstances (such as the battle being a double-battle, or in an advantageous battle-field). But then Ash's Pokemon will be so tired out that the next round he has to forfeit.

By the way, the second episode guide is out. Please check a few posts earlier.

They gave Ash an almost fully evolved team this time, constantly foreshadowed the E4, pretty much foreshadowed Ash's victory over Paul easily, haven't introduced any new -son rival, and Cynthia is waiting for a challenge.

1. Maybe they just wanted to give him fully evolved starters. I mean this generation is ending, and really the only stater he had in AG was Treecko. So maybe that's a new thing, all the starters will fully evolve. Everyone else was probably gonna evolve anyway like Staraptor and Gliscor so...

2. We know Ash will defeat Paul, but we have no idea if a -son rival will appear. They don't show up until the actual competition, so we have no way of knowing. We can infer though, but we don't actually know for sure because we aren't the writers.

3. For the fucking 1000th time, maybe they just wanted to show the Elite 4 and that will become a common thing in the anime now.

4. He can still challenge her like Paul did, genius. And if the games are released in September like they have for the past 6 years, this will be the only option since we have to do the Pallet Town episode for Ash to drop off his Sinnoh Pokemon and get new clothes.

If the writers blow all this off, then I give up on Ash ever winning a league. There's no reason why Ash's team in the 5th gen would be better than his team now, I can't see where it can go from here.

If it happens, it happens. I'll be happy. But if it doesn't, then oh well. It's 30 minutes on a Thursday, and I'll have better things to do in 4 years then to whine about Ash not winning a league.

Anyway, this isn't the topic for this, so let's take this to the GF/League thread.

I knew Togekiss was going to be big, but wow its huge!
I must say, I really liked Salvia, she seemed so nice! I'm still not sure how i feel about Jessie getting given the ribbon though.
Oh, and thanks for the translation T kiss!

Jessie: (suddenly changes tone) That girl is so great! (this shocks James and Meowth)

I wonder if Jessie will like Dawn from now on XD or at least be more nice to her than before...
Anyway, Scott, we have absolutely no reason at all to believe Ash will win this League - even Dawn is more likely to win the GF because of the final promise...

No, its more likely Ash wins the league and Dawn comes in Top 4 or something

Ya know,from your tone I can tell that you are disagreeing with logic and everyone just for the heck of it! am I right?

It'll be exactly the opposite - Ash will get top 4 and Dawn will win the GF
Remember I said this...
Anyway, if you reply to this post, do it in the relevant threads - this isn't one of them

No, Ash will win the League, Dawn will win the GF, and Brock will get a girlfriend. All the foreshadowing is there.

Maybe Holly will make a surprise re-appearance after 3 years and run off with Brock.

Please, we have more than enough threads about DP's climax / GF / League / E4
This thread is for DP 170-171 discussion

Observe, Observe... that's the world-shattering advice she gave Ash, huh? To basically "look" at your Pokemon and watch what it does... Well GEE, thanks Bertha! It's a good thing they do that already when fighting!

Honestly... she could've said "watch your Pokemon and make sure it isn't doing anything stupid" and it'd be a more reasonable tip.

Well, whatever, it seemed to work in the episode. Of course it has to work, it's the graceful words of an Elite 4 member! Now observe this FIRE FANG as it sinks deep into your Torterra's skull! Oops, guess you should've observed closer than that!

By the way, the second episode guide is out. Please check a few posts earlier.

Thank you. I quite enjoy your episode guides.

Ya know,from your tone I can tell that you are disagreeing with logic and everyone just for the heck of it! am I right?

Just thought this needed to be repeated.

Observe, Observe... that's the world-shattering advice she gave Ash, huh? To basically "look" at your Pokemon and watch what it does... Well GEE, thanks Bertha! It's a good thing they do that already when fighting!

I think it was more to say that Ash shouldn't just focus on which attacks his pokémon should use but pay attention to the envirronement around them and try to be aware of the entire field. I rather like that both Ash and Dawn got something more out of their meeting with the Elite 4 than just a battle.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom