• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that don't seem great in the game,and are op in the anime

Fire Pledge: Pignite's Fire Pledge comes off as stronger than Flamethrower

All of them. Every move seems to be on par with the usual go-to offensive move in the game like Flamethrower or Surf. Heck, I remember moves like Growl and Sand Attack doing damage and even FAINTING other Pokemon.

Volt Tackle. Has Pikachu ever been seen taking recoil damage when using it? He might have, but my memory is a bit foggy.

yeah, most times he used it.

He even knockes himself out after using it on Latios, though that can be aruged as being Luster Purge.

Last edited:
The only one I can think of right now is Protect. Let's face it: When you use it in the games it only prevents damage for one turn so if you use it in a single battle it can basically be considered a waste of a turn. It's only really useful in a double or triple battle so you can protect your Pokémon from a move that damages all Pokémon on the field that you're having another one your Pokémon use.

I was thinking about substitude the pokemon avoids the attack entirely and doesnt seem to recieve any kind of damage.
As for moves that are better in the game i would say close combat, the pokemon gets close and hits, but apperantly many pokemon can dodge this

Protect: It never fails
Barrier/Reflect/Counter/Mirror Coat: Pretty much a permanent Protect, the user takes no damage from the attacks. Same for Counter and Mirror Coat, but they send the attack back to the opponent, also without any damage to the defender. In the first movie, Counter can also deflect any attack regardless of being physical or special.
Rapid Spin: It has Protect built in, and it really doesn't look like a 40 Base Power move.
Hyper Beam: Pretty much a 1-Hit-KO move and no recharge.
Agility: You can do so many things with this move in the anime. In the games... increase Speed and is only learned by Pokémon that are already fast.
Double Team: How many times did the attacker actually hit the real one in the anime? And how many times do you use Double Team in-game and the opponent just seems to land the attack every time. Not to mention the attack is multiplied by the number of clones, which makes it stronger and harder to avoid.
I keep waiting for when my Pokemon learns "dodge it!". Anyone know what level that comes at?
That's Detect. :p
In the description it say's the Pokémon evades all the attacks. It would be much better if it reduced the next move's accuracy to 50% and gives you priority in the next turn... just so that it wouldn't be like a weaker version of Protect...

It's not quite on topic, but pokemon can evolve during batte :> In-game this would help alot sometimes ^^

Last edited:
The only one I can think of right now is Protect. Let's face it: When you use it in the games it only prevents damage for one turn so if you use it in a single battle it can basically be considered a waste of a turn. It's only really useful in a double or triple battle so you can protect your Pokémon from a move that damages all Pokémon on the field that you're having another one your Pokémon use.

What if the other guy is burned, or they're locked into High Jump Kick or something?

Also stop saying they don't have to recharge, there's been plenty of times they've had to recharge.

What if the other guy is burned, or they're locked into High Jump Kick or something?

Also stop saying they don't have to recharge, there's been plenty of times they've had to recharge.

Problem with that: There's no way to know what you're oponents going to do. So chances are the move will still be a waste of a turn. The only way it wouldn't be a waste is if the effect lasted for three or more turns and you could use other moves during that time.

Problem with that: There's no way to know what you're oponents going to do. So chances are the move will still be a waste of a turn. The only way it wouldn't be a waste is if the effect lasted for three or more turns and you could use other moves during that time.

That's what strategy's for; you use certain moves and Pokemon, along with preparation, to predict what the foe's gonna do and sometimes force them to make a move that favors you. It doesn't assure that Protect won't be a waste, but it helps the odds.

That's what strategy's for; you use certain moves and Pokemon, along with preparation, to predict what the foe's gonna do and sometimes force them to make a move that favors you. It doesn't assure that Protect won't be a waste, but it helps the odds.

Do you see my point though?

Rapid Spin, I think its the only move that a Hitmontop knows in the anime.
Double Team, in the anime it looks so useful, but it isn't as good in-game.

On a side note: in the beginning they did a great job with Stone Edge, those floating or flying stones looked really cool in my opinion. But the way Pancham used it recently, it just looked.. Boring.

In regards to Hyper Beam, I do remember that the recharge bit WAS noted in the Tag Battle Tournament, after Torterra OHKO'd an opponent wY'ith it. And it was a freaking Farfetch'd; I think we can agree it's not too hard to OHKO one of those regardless of what move you use. XD And the recharge stuck for a while since that allowed Croagunk to get a lot of hits on Torterra as it was recovering, so at least it was implemented faithfully there.

Y'know, when I first saw this thread title, I didn't think of a move that the anime completely screwed with, but rather an ability: Sturdy. Sturdy made Ash's Roggenrola/Boldore functionally invincible. Yes, you can survive any attack and still have 1 HP standing, but if you're being assaulted with multiple attacks (Drill Run WAS used a lot), and you're getting HIT by those attacks, Sturdy should not still be working! Seeing as it requires you to have full HP to activate, and all. But not in Best Wishes, apparently. Sturdy became like the next level of Wonder Guard: All super-effective moves suddenly do jack against you. It's a shame, too, as the Clay gym battle was otherwise decent.

So in regards to MOVES... Bubble Beam always annoyed me. They're freaking bubbles, but when Piplup shoots them at things, they go off like freaking bombs and actively destroy shit that, y'know, BUBBLES shouldn't be able to do!

What was annoying and yet awfully funny was seeing moves like Aerial Ace actually MISS opponents! Unless the move is performed like 20 consecutive times or something.

Iron Defense: Seems to act just like protect in the anime. I remember numerous times Ash tells his Corphish to do this in response to a special attack and it somehow works.

Oblivion Wing: It freakin turns its targets to stone in the anime instead of just being a decently strong flying attack.

String Shot: In the anime string shot can win battles all by itself if its lathered on enough.

Supersonic: Garbage accuracy in game. Near 100% accurate in the anime and affects multiple opponents to boot.

Pikachu's ThunderShock and Quick Attack, full stop.

Iron Defense: Seems to act just like protect in the anime. I remember numerous times Ash tells his Corphish to do this in response to a special attack and it somehow works.

I remember when Ash battled Flannery and how OP this move was. That Torkoal must've haunted his nightmares for a couple days afterwards, despite winning.

Fire Spin is another move I just thought of. It's terrible in-game, weak power, shoddy accuracy, but in the anime it's very powerful, easily rivaling Flamethrower. I think the Pokedex in the anime even once called Fire Spin Vulpix's strongest fire attack.

Rock Smash is another move. While it has moderate usage in-game (makes for a decent Fighting type move early on, like in BW, plus its side effect is helpful for a while), in the anime, it is outright brutal. When Ash's Gible used it, it utterly demolished a boulder that was at least 10x its size. His Boldore is another prime user of Rock Smash that shows off its anime-infused power.

Absorb and Mega Drain. They both seem to have the strength equivalent of something much stronger, as a single Tangrowth using Absorb was enough to KO a large number of Pokemon, including Dawn's Mamowsine. Likewise, Nando's Budew's Mega Drain was quite powerful, even for a "baby" Pokemon, easily draining a sizable chuck of Pikachu's power while fully healing itself in the process.

Ice Shard. It's an increased-priority move in-game, but in the anime, like every other Ice move, it can freeze an opponent solid. Plus it's very powerful, hardly what I'd expect from a 40 base power speed move.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom