• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VIZ releasing Pokemon Special D/P arc volume in February 2011

At first I was confused, but then I figured it out: my guess is that they made a fake "second series" (think Peach Girl: Change of Heart) so that they can release the newest volumes concurrently with the older ones. This gets us caught up with Japan faster, and that also means they'll be less rushed to get the GSC/RS/FRLG/E arcs finished up because they'll be bringing out the most relevant, Gen IV stuff. Frankly, I like this in many ways because we get more manga faster, and there will be fewer errors (because theoretically, they're less rushed). With volume 11 and 12 on the way I don't see them stopping anytime soon and I don't see why they wouldn't eventually catch up to the Gen III-based arcs. Kind of excited for this, actually, lol.

I would've done a one-volume-per-month speed up starting next year, but heeeeey...
I wouldn't like that, personally, they'd probably be all rushed and crappy and full of errors. It takes a lot of work to translate a manga D:

Oh shit. Talk about Fast forward. They're skipping the entire R&S saga...my Favorite. ;/
Like I said above I doubt they're going to skip it entirely. If they were, then 30 would be numbered 15 or something (to pretend they didnt skip a ton of volumes). Since they're still doing 11 and 12 this spring, this gives them plenty of space to catch up with RS/FRLG/E and then have a "second series" for the beginning of DP.

EDIT: Wait a minute- if they can release the G/S/C arc and the D/P arc at the same time, why didn't they just release the G/S/C arc at a monthly rate? By the time the first D/P volume comes to the US, the games Black and White will be not that far behind. So they'd go out of their way to start releasing volumes about the Gen that'd be just about to become obsolete. Meh...

Well, in any case it's going to be the same for Japan, sort of. They won't get the Black and White chapter until way into next year, maybe even months after we get the BW anime. They still have the Platinum and HGSS arcs to cover, and with the Platinum arc on a hiatus, then they won't start the Black and White one for a long while, IF they're smart.

At first I was confused, but then I figured it out: my guess is that they made a fake "second series" (think Peach Girl: Change of Heart) so that they can release the newest volumes concurrently with the older ones. This gets us caught up with Japan faster, and that also means they'll be less rushed to get the GSC/RS/FRLG/E arcs finished up because they'll be bringing out the most relevant, Gen IV stuff. Frankly, I like this in many ways because we get more manga faster, and there will be fewer errors (because theoretically, they're less rushed). With volume 11 and 12 on the way I don't see them stopping anytime soon and I don't see why they wouldn't eventually catch up to the Gen III-based arcs. Kind of excited for this, actually, lol.

I wouldn't like that, personally, they'd probably be all rushed and crappy and full of errors. It takes a lot of work to translate a manga D:

Like I said above I doubt they're going to skip it entirely. If they were, then 30 would be numbered 15 or something (to pretend they didnt skip a ton of volumes). Since they're still doing 11 and 12 this spring, this gives them plenty of space to catch up with RS/FRLG/E and then have a "second series" for the beginning of DP.

This, basically. This is a great release plan guys, not a bad one. It also works so much better because the DP arc has virtually no references to any of the previous arcs(aside from concepts like the Dex Holders), so regardless of the numbering scheme or not, you'd figure that the DP arc would be it's own series - not connected to the last 29 volumes - either way.

Ha, I knew they were going to come up with something to release cocurrently with Adventures with DPA finished up. But I didn't except it to be... Adventures. Kind of reminds me of their approach to Dragon Ball. Yet now I am really, really, really hoping they manage to stick with Adventure all the way up through the end of the Emerald arc, at least. A gap would be aggravating.

What's strange is there are so many other books they could have released and remain "current". Howzabout Platinum: Aim to be the Battle King or Jou's Big Adventure? The DP series staring Ash and Dawn? Are they ever going to release the Movie 12 manga? And I'm still hoping for MD2 and Pokémon 7. Perhap this is their way of releasing more Pokémon manga without having to spend the presumed cost to get the rights to different series.

EDIT: Wait a minute- if they can release the G/S/C arc and the D/P arc at the same time, why didn't they just release the G/S/C arc at a monthly rate? By the time the first D/P volume comes to the US, the games Black and White will be not that far behind. So they'd go out of their way to start releasing volumes about the Gen that'd be just about to become obsolete. Meh...
This would have been so much more awesome. :eek: Ah well.

Zesty Cactus said:
Too late. :x

YESSS. This is such good news. I love Adventures and I want to buy the official manga to keep up, but they've been so painfully behind it hurts. This has made me a happy man.

Lil Brother said:
What's strange is there are so many other books they could have released and remain "current". Howzabout Platinum: Aim to be the Battle King or Jou's Big Adventure? The DP series staring Ash and Dawn? Are they ever going to release the Movie 12 manga? And I'm still hoping for MD2 and Pokémon 7.

They don't care about being current. This is the same company that constantly re-releases Dragon Ball, a comic that ended about fifteen years ago, remember?

Viz, like every other company on the planet, is all about the profit. They figure they can sell more copies of Pokemon Special than any of those one-shots, so that's what they're releasing. Simple as that.

They could release those AND Special. After DPA ends in November, Special will be the only thing running in English outside Singapore. And as great as Special is, I like a little variety. Besides, both Jou's Big Adventure and Pokemon 7 are one volume long. They wouldn't have to make a major commitment.

They could release those AND Special. After DPA ends in November, Special will be the only thing running in English outside Singapore. And as great as Special is, I like a little variety. Besides, both Jou's Big Adventure and Pokemon 7 are one volume long. They wouldn't have to make a major commitment.
The thing with one volume releases is, if they do sell, they might not make a large enough profit than they would with a larger series.

But if they don't sell, they won't lose as much money as they would if a big series didn't sell.

Confusing...but basically, it means "Little risk - No Money". Risks are fun, and money is money.

Iron Mask Marauder said:
They could release those AND Special. After DPA ends in November, Special will be the only thing running in English outside Singapore.

Except that's not the way budgets work. With DPA, Viz has the money to release the eight volumes' worth of material that's out in Japan. Once those eight volumes are released, that's it. No more money.

After the last DPA volume, the staff for that series could be transferred over to the Adventures staff and help them out, or they could be transferred over to any other series that Viz is working on right now. You can't assume that one team will automatically go to another series just because they're both "Pokemon" titles. That's not the way things work.

Besides, both Jou's Big Adventure and Pokemon 7 are one volume long. They wouldn't have to make a major commitment.

I'm sure Viz has considered the cost vs. earnings for small series like those and have determined that it makes more sense, financially, to put their resources behind volumes that will actually give them a profit. What reason would they have to believe that they'd break even with a translation of those one-volume series? Have their other one-volume series sold more than individual volumes of Adventures have?

I don`t know what is so bad about this. I think this is really good thing. We can get more recent Adventures faster, and got the rest of the arc too, at the same time. Wonderful! [And yes, before you wonder, Pokémon Adventures along with other VIZ realased Pokémon manga, are avaible in English here at Fantasiapelit stores which sells English language manga.]

I really doubt that they would skip RS/FR&LG arc entirely. Or if they do so, they can prepare to hear some angry complaints from Pokémon fans : P

I have a feeling that we're getting Adventures: Platinum to give us a more up-to-date story with newer Pokémon, and the RSEFRLG sagas will be released at the usual rate that the GS arc is.

However, they could have done a Naruto/One Piece and release loads of volumes a month until they caught up xD

Meaning Pokémon from the 5th generation?
Possible, after all, its release date was set almost a month before B & W will more then likely be released in America.

I don't think they'll release that many volumes a month, they'll more then likely stick with one volume per month.
Also, why didn't they just make it Diamond and Pearl adventures Volume 9?
Wouldn't that be easier then starting from Volume 1?

Because it's part of a completely different series? I'd make as much sense as publishing the first volume of Dr. Slump as "Dragonball volume 17".

Does it even matter how they number it? Kids already know the sequence of the games, after all. Fans have been asking for an accelerated release ever since news that GSC will be translated into U.S. English for the first time surfaced, and now that we're finally getting a sped up release, people are complaining. Fandumb, I guess. It's basically like this:

Japan Releases: DP volumes continue being released.

U.S. Release Plan: Adventures: Gold and Silver -> Adventures: Ruby and Sapphire -> Adventures: Fire Red and Leaf Green -> Adventures: Emerald

While at the same time: Adventures: Platinum -> Begins to follow the Japanese release schedule after sometime.

So yeah, we're getting the old and the new at once. Smart plan, Viz. Also, this means that we'll be getting the HGSS and BW chapters not too long after Japan and Singapore gets them, IF they release Adventures: Platinum bi-monthly like they do for GS. That in itself shows that Viz is actually serious about Pokemon Adventures succeeding in the U.S.

Thinking this through, it quite reminds me of the concurrent release of Pokemon Special with the DPPt arcs. :U

Oh well, I don't mind this anymore. I just hope they release the entire series. :D

Because they're completely different manga series?? That makes NO sense D: just because they're both Pokemon manga doesn't mean they follow the same continuity.

At least we're finally getting Pokespe unflipped in English. I've never understood why Chuang Yi continues to flip Pokespe even though they don't flip any of their other Pokémon manga.

Awesome!

I was worried that I would have to wait a couple of years before the DP arc of Adventures would come out...

You can't assume that one team will automatically go to another series just because they're both "Pokemon" titles. That's not the way things work.

I never said they did.

What reason would they have to believe that they'd break even with a translation of those one-volume series? Have their other one-volume series sold more than individual volumes of Adventures have?

I donno, but I bet we can check. My point overall is that Pokemon is a popular franchise and they'd be fools to only translate longer series. If no one buys a single-volume title, their losses are minimal. If no one buys a longer title, they cut it off and have the same problem they had when they stopped translating it BEFORE.

Besides, they still print All That Pikachu, and I can't imagine anyone is really buying an adaptation of a short that's 12 years old.

I honestly wish they'd just move that last GSC chapter into Vol. 14, and release Pokemon Adventures: Ruby and Sapphire, too.

So we'd have:

RGB -> Y -> GSC
DP -> Pt -> etc.
RS -> FRLG -> E

But meh. I can wait.

Because it's part of a completely different series? I'd make as much sense as publishing the first volume of Dr. Slump as "Dragonball volume 17".

What I meant was put it in with the other Pokémon specials (There on Johto right now, right?) and instead of having the other side-series next to Special Adventures, they would have Platinum after R/S/E.

EDIT- Just wondering, has the DP series been in Pokemon Special Adventures?
I think there on G/S/C right now.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom