• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Mega Venusaur vs Mega Sceptile

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
500px-Venusaur-Mega.png

V.S.
tumblr_n72h99r4Nv1rhxf3go1_500.png

I don't know why this isn't a thing yet, but it should be, so I made it.

These are the two (as of this writing) Grass Starter Mega Evolutions.

Mega Venusaur is a defensive behemoth (single best defensive Mega in the game as of right now) with only two fairly uncommon weaknesses and an impressive array of resistances (Water, Electric, Fighting, Grass, and now Fairy.) It's ability to recover HP in a myriad of ways (Synthesis, Leech Seed, Giga Drain) puts it light-years ahead of every other defensive Mega in the game, and on par with the toughest defensive threats this side of Ubers. It can shut down Fairies with a well placed Sludge Bomb, doesn't fear Ice Beams from Water Types, and rolls its eyes at your Infernape's pathetic attempts to Flare Blitz it.

Mega Sceptile, for its part, gains a Dragon typing. This means that it can now fire off STAB Dragon Claws, Dragon Pulse, and Outrage, and that it gets impressive neutral coverage, only walled by Steel types, Togekiss, and Whimsicott (but hey, that's what coverage moves are for.) It's ability, Lightningrod, is comparatively less useful than Venusaur's Thick Fat because Sceptile already 4x resists Electric moves due to its typing, but if you look a little deeper, you can see some hidden uses for it. For instance, it is now immune to Thunder Wave (and all Electric forms of paralysis.) In Doubles, it can work well with an Electric Type partner and get a boost from what would otherwise be splash damage. It works on Rain Teams as a check to Grass and Electric types that threaten your Water types, etc. Its typing also provides it with a handy 4x resist to both Grass and Water, and it loses its weakness to Fire. It's not all good, however. The trade-off is two added weaknesses in Dragon and Fairy, and a 4x weakness to Ice.
Its stats are still offensive in nature, with an incredibly buffed up special attack and speed stat and a usable attack stat, meaning it can be a pretty decent mixed sweeper (provided it gets the right movepool.)

So, which of these forest titans is your favorite? Which one would win in a battle? Which one is better designed (both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay?)

My money's on Venusaur, as STAB Sludge Bomb will still hurt Sceptile while the latter can only hit back with neutral Dragon moves or Hidden Power.

Last edited:
I've always preferred Sceptile over Venusaur and this holds true with their megas. Venusaur is okay with that palm tree on its back, but Sceptile is a badass with a Chistmas tree for a tail that can be fired like missile. However, in an actual battle, mega Venusaur would have an advantage due to the whole poison-type.

Gonna have to go with my boy Venusaur. Huge defenses, increased special attack to heal more with giga drain and few weaknesses make it near invincible if you play him right.

Liking Mega Sceptile's design but they should have given something better than Lightning Rod on something that already x4 resists electric. It's also a little too late, if something like this existed in gen 5 then it would be extremely useful with all the rain wars.

Head to head at the moment no question that Venusaur wins with STAB Sludge Bomb and its massive defenses, Sceptile learns few moves that hit for SE with the highest base power being a 60 BP Aerial Ace (since mega stone means Acrobatics hits for 55) and a 60 BP hidden power both lacking STAB. It would hit for more damage with a STAB Dragon Pulse.

Last edited:
I've always preferred Sceptile over Venusaur, and Sceptile becoming a Dragon type, my favorite type, doesn't help Venusaur at all. But I must say, that Mega Venusaur would prove helpful against Mega Sceptile and a bunch of other Pokemon.

Venusaur. As the OP said, Sludgee Bomb would probably do heavy damage to Sceptile while Sceptile dont have much do to heavy damage on Venusaur with. Design-wise Venusaur is cooler and it also has a much more useful ability.

Mega Sceptile improves Sceptile's design, while Mega Venusaur does the exact opposite to Venusaur. Guess which one I voted for?

I much prefer mega Sceptile's design but that 4x weakness to ice the dragon adds yet more weaknesses!
I use mega Venusaur quite a bit actually, I'm not a fan of its design but its sheer bulk and fairy killing awesomeness is just too much for me to handle!
I'm just not a big fan of Pokemon with 4x weaknesses (But Salamence is my favourite pseudo legendary)

I wanted Mega Meganium to be the Grass/Dragon (Being a dinosaur + dragon types are supposed to be royaly fabulous Sceptile is a pleb)

But it's still a Grass/Dragon, so

Mega Sceptile has a better design and a more interesting type, we don't know how useful it'll be so it's hard to judge if it's going to be better than M-Venusaur or not.

So yeah, I voted for Sceptile.

Mega Venusaur is very unique. Not only are its stats super high, but it's the only grass type with Thick Fat which gets rid of half of its weaknesses... Not only that, but it also has high enough Special Attack to hit hard, and it has great support moves like Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Synthesis...

Mega Sceptile is unique because of its type. It will definitely play a lot different than Mega Venusaur. I'm hoping to run some sort of Dragon Dance set. The only thing it has in common with Mega Venusaur is that they're both grass starters. I'm REALLY hoping that Sceptile will learn Dragon Dance in OR/AS! That would make Mega Sceptile REALLY worthwhile to me :)

Mega Sceptile looks really cool, but Mega Venusaur is a beast in battle.

I chose Mega Venusaur because he is really good to use in battle, but as far as Mega Sceptile's battle capabilities are concerned, I don't know yet. The fact that he is a Grass/Dragon type kind of kills it for me. He's going to need a bigger movepool and high attack power and speed to beat Mega Venusaur. :/

I don't use (or really like) either of them, but I prefer Venasaur over Sceptile, and it seems like Venasaur may be the better battler, so I'm going with him.

I like Mega Sceptile's design better. Megasaur's design is more or less the same, with a few extra plants added on. However, I'm betting Mega Sceptile is going to be something of a glass cannon, and I'm not sure if it will even learn enough good Dragon moves to utilize its type. Megasaur on the other hand is an herbal tank, and has many advantages over many different types, including my arch-nemesis, the Fairy. So yeah, I guess I prefer Megasaur.

Based on the facts that we know now about both Megas, I'm going with Mega Sceptile. I prefer its design by a long shot (not that I dislike Mega Venusaur's) and its (assumed) play style, as I've never been too keen on defensive Pokemon and prefer offensive ones. That said, I also harbor some disdain for Mega Venusaur just based on battles I've had personally. When a Pokemon constantly gives me unnecessary trouble, I tend to begin to dislike it, as is the case for Mega Venusaur.

It seems more likely that if the two were pit against each other, Mega Venusaur would win. I imagine it'll be able to tank anything Mega Sceptile could throw at it and just hit it back with a Sludge Bomb, or an HP Ice.

On that note, the only cons I see for Mega Sceptile are its 4X weakness to Ice and the fact that they seems to be making it into a more Special Pokemon, while it clearly has a much wider range of Physical attacks.

So, which of these forest titans is your favorite? Which one would win in a battle? Which one is better designed (both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay?)

Which one would win in a battle:
Venusaur has a more diverse movepool and learns more useful moves by leveling up (Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Razor Leaf, Synthesis). Venusaur is also part poison which already gives him type advantage so I'm going with Venusaur. Sceptile can learn Acrobatics though so its a little matched. I would say Venusaur though ultimately since Sceptile is at type disadvantage.

Which one is better designed (both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay?): Well this is pretty subjective. In my opinion I like Venusaur better. However in a region full of water of course Sceptile is going to have some better gameplay.

So, which of these forest titans is your favorite? : Going to have to say Venusaur since he/she is my favorite Pokemon. It was always the best at taking down Misty, Brock, Surge, and Giovanni which is 50% of the gyms. However Sceptile could easily destroy the Water Gym/Champion/Team Aqua people. Both are pretty good, although like I said I like Venusaur the best. In my opinion it just has a better movepool because it can learn leech seed, poison powder, sleep powder, razor leaf, synthesis and growth. Treeko can't really learn any of those moves leveling up which disappointed me.

Mega Sceptile is much cooler looking than Mega Venusaur, not to mention that it adds more to Sceptile than Venusaur's mega does for it.

I think Mega Venusaur is more better than Mega Sceptile. Just with Sleep Powder, M.Venusaur can put M.Sceptile into deep sleep and then it can do whatever it want to do with M.Sceptile. ( it's was a little bit cheating too...)

Just with Sleep Powder, M.Venusaur can put M.Sceptile into deep sleep and then it can do whatever it want to do with M.Sceptile. ( it's was a little bit cheating too...)
... actually it can't, since Grass types are now immune to powder/spore based status moves (Poison Powder, Sleep Powder / Spore, Stun Spore, and Leech Seed).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom